The 105 Series Alfa Romeo Giulia GT was an instant success when it was launched in 1963. The attractive body and twin-cam four cylinder engine, combined with its nimble and precise handling, created a car that was visually pleasing and fun to drive.
Inevitably a lightened competition version of the Giulia GT was produced and named ‘GTA’, with the 'A' standing for "Alleggerita", Italian for lightweight. It was first produced in 1965 as a 1600 (1570 cc) and later as a 1300cc Junior version in both Stradale or race (Corsa) trim.
The GTA featured aluminium outer body panels, magnesium alloy wheels, plastic side windows, an aluminium rear-upper control arm, different door handles, quarter-window mechanisms, and a lightweight interior trim.
The engine performance was also consolidated with a new double-ignition cylinder head (now known as twin spark), 45mm carburettors instead of 40mm and a magnesium camshaft cover, sump, timing cover and bell housing.
The gear ratios were closer than the standard GT model while the gears were re-machined for lightness and quicker shifting. The dry weight of the 1600 was approximately 1,640 pounds.
Chassis 613073 is understood to have been prepared by Autodelta from new in 1965, where it began its competitive life in the hands of future F1 champion Jochen Rindt, racing at circuits such as Snetterton, Zandvoort and Monza.
The original vehicle registration document that accompanies the car lists Herbert Schultze as the owner from August 1966. Schultze raced the car in German touring car events and hill climbs before passing ownership to Dieter Machatius in December 1967 who competed in ADAC and AvD race events at Zolder, Zandvoort and the Nurburgring up to 1970. The car then passed ownership to Guenther Kutz who continued to race the car throughout the remainder of the decade.
From 1985 to 1992, the GTA was in the possession of Eckbert Köhler until sold to Jean-Pierre Magalhaes. A letter from Alfa Romeo to Mr Magalhaes confirms that chassis 613073 was produced on 24 June 1965 and sold to SpA Autodelta on 30 July 1965, finished in ‘Rouge Alfa’.
The current owner acquired the car in 2007 and has been prepared regardless of expense by Gelscoe Motorsport. A regular entrant at some of the world’s most prestigious motorsport events including the Goodwood Revival, this beautiful Alfa Romeo GTA is ready to compete.